"Not too long ago, in a dimension closer than you think..."

The Perils of Quad began as a comic book idea. But I became so interested in one character that I unconsciously began to develop his life and his world and 272 pages later I had a novel.

Now available through barnesandnoble.com!

The Perils of Quad Overview

Bodi Hawkes is a teenage foster child with a challenging, yet uneventful life—until he starts to inhabit alternate superhuman versions of himself from four other dimensions. As Bodi struggles to make sense of his newfound ability, a young girl named Phoenix Mack becomes inadvertently entangled in his predicament. Together, they seek out a reclusive physicist, Professor Artemis Hill, to help them.

After Bodi demonstrates his powers for the apprehensive scientist, Professor Hill attempts to unravel the mysterious origin of the teen’s power which lies with his estranged father who he now must find. Complications arise when a sinister rival from the professor’s past, Dr. Victor Maddox, steals Professor Hill’s findings. What will the madman do with this information? Can he utilize it to execute his evil plans?

If Dr. Maddox can duplicate and expand upon Bodi’s ability and use it for his own criminal ventures, the results could be catastrophic. Now, along with his quest to discover the source of his extraordinary gift, Bodi embarks upon an amazing adventure to thwart any evil plans Dr. Maddox may have for his unique talent. But the diabolical doctor won’t go down quietly. What will it take for Bodi, Phoenix, and Professor Hill to overcome The Perils of Quad?

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Carlisms

What is your salad dressing of choice?
The one so fattening you might as well skip the salad.

What is your favorite sit-down restaurant?
My car.

What food could you eat for 2 weeks straight and not get sick of it?
Chinese.

What are your pizza toppings of choice?
You're assuming I like pizza....which I don't.

What do you like to put on your toast?
I don't like toast either.

How many televisions are in your house?
I refuse to answer this because I feel like I'm being judged somehow.

What color cell phone do you have?
This sounds like one of those "How Your Signature Defines You” type of deals. Dark Blue.

Are you right-handed or left-handed?
Depends. If I'm doing something passive like writing then I'm right-handed. If I'm, say, smacking an idiot, I'm left-handed.

Have you ever had anything removed from your body?
Yes. Four wisdom teeth, a ganglion from my left wrist and I believe the collective toxins from interacting with several parasitic a#!holes has taken several years off my life.

What is the last heavy item you lifted?
My ass...off the bed.

Have you ever been knocked unconscious?
Are you threatening me?

If it were possible, would you want to know the day you were going to die?
Absolutely. I'd go out in a blaze of uninhibited jaw-dropping glory.

If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
It's a toss-up between Snarky Bronk, Durango Stiggs or Optimus Prime.

Would you drink an entire bottle of hot sauce for $1000?
A thousand bucks wouldn’t even cover the trip to the ER.

How many pairs of flip flops do you own?
I don't know. My wife keeps taking them.

When was the last run in you had with the cops?
I passed one coming out of the coffee shop. That's about it.

Last person you talked to?
My agent. No, wait....that was a dream.

Last person you hugged?
Big Bird. Wait...that was a dream too.

Favorite Season?
Christmas.

Favorite Holiday?
Christmas. Deja vu.

Day of the week?
Friday night.

Favorite Month?
Christmas. I mean, December.

First place you went this morning?
Bathroom. Duh.

What's the last movie you saw?
Pineapple Express. I’d say more but I’m still processing it.

Do you smile often?
Are you insinuating I'm not happy?

Do you always answer your phone?
Don't judge me.

It's four in the morning and you get a text message, who is it?
I always imagine it might be a drunken publisher who's mistaken me for another client but ends up liking me and signing me on. ...But it's usually someone I don't remember.

If you could change your eye color what color would it be?
Bright purple.

What flavor drink do you get at Sonic?
What the hell's a "Sonic"?

Have you ever had a pet fish?
Yes. One time my mom bought a fresh salmon from the butcher and I tried to revive it in the toilet.

Favorite Christmas song?
Carol of the Bells.

What's on your wish list for your birthday?
A literary agent, a book deal with a huge publisher and a tapeworm that decreases my weight by about 60 pounds.

Can you do push ups?
I just admitted I had a weight problem. Don’t make it worse.

Can you do a chin up?
And we're twisting the knife...and twisting the knife.

Does the future make you more nervous or excited?
Nervous as a tethered mouse at a cat party. (That was for you, Karen.)

Do you have any saved texts?
Just by accident.

Ever been in a car wreck?
Fender benders. A wreck I probably wouldn't walk away from.

Do you have an accent?
In New York, no. In Utah I do.

What was the last song to make you cry?
I'm a guy.

Plans tonight?
You're always trying to make folks feel good about themselves.

Have you ever felt like you hit rock bottom?
You should moonlight as a Suicide Hotline operator.

Name 3 things you bought yesterday.
Thanks for reminding me that I'm broke. Yer battin' a thousand.

Have you ever been given roses?
Yes, but they were from a woman. I feel like I need to clarify that.

Current hate right now?
Lack of publishing contacts.

Met someone who changed your life?
My wife.

How did you bring in the New Year?
I don't remember.

What song represents you?
The theme song to Batman.

What were you doing 12 AM last night?
Panicking.

What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up?
"Man, do I have to pee."

Name three people who might complete this?
I'm the only idiot I can think of.

2 comments:

Jenny Meeker said...

Is that true about putting the salmon in the toilet to revive it? 'Cause that's hysterical--even moreso than normal for you!

And I'm depressed that Chinese food overpowered the fluff'n'nutter sandwich as what you could eat for two weeks straight without getting sick of it...

Carl Joglar said...

With the "salmon in the toilet" thing I have to admit I was just flexing my story-telling muscles...but yeah that would've been awesome if it were true. Muhaha!

Yeah I need to fall of the fluff'n'nutter wagon and rediscover the wonder.

I'm so ashamed.

Published February 2009

Published February 2009
Buy a copy online Today!

AMC Monsterfest

AMC Monsterfest
Carl was a contributing writer to "Short Screamers Hosted by John Carpenter" which was part of AMC's Halloween Monsterfest - He wrote "The Witching Hour" which was described by critics as "The Honeymooners meets The Others"

My Writer's Bio

My Writer's Bio
My writing life in a really small nutshell.....

Acting Debut

Acting Debut
This was a short horror spoof ("Working Late") that I played the lead in. It ran before the main feature ("Pieces")at the Fantasia Film Festival in Canada...

"The Startup" Movie Poster

"The Startup" Movie Poster
Carl was Story Editor on the film "The Startup"

Short film "Heroes" Movie poster

Short film "Heroes" Movie poster

"HEROES" Production Still

"HEROES" Production Still
Carl Joglar directing one of the actors