"Not too long ago, in a dimension closer than you think..."

The Perils of Quad began as a comic book idea. But I became so interested in one character that I unconsciously began to develop his life and his world and 272 pages later I had a novel.

Now available through barnesandnoble.com!

The Perils of Quad Overview

Bodi Hawkes is a teenage foster child with a challenging, yet uneventful life—until he starts to inhabit alternate superhuman versions of himself from four other dimensions. As Bodi struggles to make sense of his newfound ability, a young girl named Phoenix Mack becomes inadvertently entangled in his predicament. Together, they seek out a reclusive physicist, Professor Artemis Hill, to help them.

After Bodi demonstrates his powers for the apprehensive scientist, Professor Hill attempts to unravel the mysterious origin of the teen’s power which lies with his estranged father who he now must find. Complications arise when a sinister rival from the professor’s past, Dr. Victor Maddox, steals Professor Hill’s findings. What will the madman do with this information? Can he utilize it to execute his evil plans?

If Dr. Maddox can duplicate and expand upon Bodi’s ability and use it for his own criminal ventures, the results could be catastrophic. Now, along with his quest to discover the source of his extraordinary gift, Bodi embarks upon an amazing adventure to thwart any evil plans Dr. Maddox may have for his unique talent. But the diabolical doctor won’t go down quietly. What will it take for Bodi, Phoenix, and Professor Hill to overcome The Perils of Quad?

Thursday, January 1, 2009

15 Films That Changed My Life

1) Peter Pan....It made me think that whenever I was experiencing an intense emotion, I should stop everything that was going on and express myself with a song. One psychiatric evaluation and two therapy sessions later, I believed musicals were created to sabotage my life.

2) Star Wars....I was as swept away as anyone else but even at eight years old I knew "Luke Skywalker" was an awful actor. It was like watching a tangled marionette floundering in the middle of a Muppet show.

3) Rocky....I remember reminding myself to go to school every day and to not ever get punched in the head because I didn't want to talk like that.

4) Jaws....One of my favorites. I hadn't been that terrified since I made out with the school bully's girlfriend. It also made me realize that I could go several weeks without bathing and the rest of my life without the beach.

5) Superman....I'd never felt so empowered. I thought I might be indestructible. I thought maybe I was stronger. I wanted to try to fly. After a couple of scraped knees and a sprained wrist I went back to reading comic books in my fortress of humility.

6) Blade Runner....I knew after this film that I would forever hate narration. I'm a huge fan but every time I would hear Harrison Ford's voice-over it was like someone interrupting me to ask for directions to Burger King.

7) A Nightmare On Elm Street....I finally felt like I fit into society again knowing there was a writer out there with a more demented imagination than me.

8) The Crow....This was the most innovative genre-bending piece of its time. Only true heartbreak could have inspired something like this. And it did. God, I wish I'd thought of it. This film made me want to die and come back from the dead just to exact gratuitously violent supernatural vengeance upon the guy who swindled me out of five hundred bucks for his pyramid scam.

9) Die Hard....It took me a good hour into the film to stop thinking, "I can't believe the 'Moonlighting' guy is cursing and shooting a gun". But after that, I knew it would be a milestone action film.

10) Batman....I thought it was the most amazing superhero movie of all time. Of course, ten years later I was embarrassed that I felt that way.

11) Jurassic Park....The dinosaurs looked so freakin' real. That'll stay with me forever. I still don't even remember the story. But seriously, who cares?

12) The Incredibles....Favorite animated film ever. Again, I wish I'd thought of it. The only thing I'd change is....I'd do a sequel!! Where the hell is the sequel??!!

13) As Good As It Gets....There's just something about watching a socially challenged Jack Nicholson interacting with people like a monkey on a job interview. I mean, who wouldn't be riveted by a slow motion train wreck?

14) Spider-Man....It pains me to say the only thing that drains the high-octane machismo heroism right out of this movie is that Toby Maguire has the voice of a nine-year old girl. They might as well have sewn a webbed tutu around Spider-Girl's waist.

15) Iron Man....I have to admit I scoffed at the idea of Robert Downey Jr. as a superhero (I hear they're gonna cast Will Ferrell as Captain America!) but the guy did make the movie.

No comments:

Published February 2009

Published February 2009
Buy a copy online Today!

AMC Monsterfest

AMC Monsterfest
Carl was a contributing writer to "Short Screamers Hosted by John Carpenter" which was part of AMC's Halloween Monsterfest - He wrote "The Witching Hour" which was described by critics as "The Honeymooners meets The Others"

My Writer's Bio

My Writer's Bio
My writing life in a really small nutshell.....

Acting Debut

Acting Debut
This was a short horror spoof ("Working Late") that I played the lead in. It ran before the main feature ("Pieces")at the Fantasia Film Festival in Canada...

"The Startup" Movie Poster

"The Startup" Movie Poster
Carl was Story Editor on the film "The Startup"

Short film "Heroes" Movie poster

Short film "Heroes" Movie poster

"HEROES" Production Still

"HEROES" Production Still
Carl Joglar directing one of the actors